A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > Religion

Last additions - Religion
chapel_6784.JPG
Church of the Risen Savior (Catholic) 2017Chapel for daily Mass at Risen Savior.Mar 27, 2017
risin6776.JPG
Church of the Risen Savior (Catholic) 2017In the late sixties, the township of Lebanon, now known as Apple Valley, grew rapidly. A new parish, officially named Church of the Risen Savior, was begun with 350 households from Burnsville & Lakeville as well as Apple Valley. Risen Savior is located at 1501
E. County Road 42
Mar 27, 2017
churchoftherisin6774.JPG
Church of the Risen Savior (Catholic) 2017The church is located at 1501 Co Rd 42 .In the late sixties, the township of Lebanon, now known as Apple Valley, grew rapidly. A new parish, officially named Church of the Risen Savior, was begun with 350 households from Burnsville & Lakeville as well as Apple Valley.Mar 27, 2017
lutheran_6710.JPG
Lutheran Church of the Ascension Established in 1964 and located at 1801 Cliff Rd East. Photo 2015,
Mar 26, 2017
lutheranassc6713.JPG
Lutheran Church of the Ascension 2017Lutheran Church of the Ascension is located at: 1801 East Cliff Road and was founded in 1964.
Mar 26, 2017
IMG_6721.JPG
Islamic Institute of MInnesota - BurnsvilleEstablished 2008 and located at 1350 Riverwood Drive (site of the former William/Bridget Connelly and Pat and Mary Connelly farm.)

From their website: In the beginning, Minnesota had only one Islamic organization; The Islamic Center of Minnesota (ICM). After years of volunteering with the ICM and after they arranged for the acquisition of the center in Fridley, Brothers Amin Abdel-Kader, Ezzeddeean Taha and Mohamed El-Akkad decided to have a quite time. They established a non- profit organization under the name of Islamic Institute of Minnesota for Research and Publications. They thought they would publish Islamic materials that might be helpful for the community. Later they were convinced that there was much to do for the Islamic community and it was not time to retire. The non-profit organization's name was amended to Islamic Institute of Minnesota (IIM). The organization was to focus on the unfulfilled needs of the Muslim community in the Twin Cities, especially an Islamic cemetery and mosques in suburbs that are not serviced. The organization was able to acquire the Bakee Islamic Cemetery in Roseville and two years later it acquired the Assalam Mosque in Maplewood and this was the first mosque in the St.Paul area at the time. In 2004, the Garden of Eden Islamic Cemetery was established, Burnsville Mosque was established in 2008.
Mar 26, 2017
eden6727.JPG
Eden Baptist Church, 2017Located on Highway 13 this is another view of the church.Mar 26, 2017
edenchurch_6718.JPG
Eden Baptist Church 2017 photoLocated in the site of the former City Hall, 1313 Highway 13 East,
Eden Baptist Church was incorporated in 1985 as Burnsville Baptist Church. The church was started by Dr. Wendell Mullen, a professor at Pillsbury Baptist Bible College in Owatonna, MN. Pastor Mullen gathered a few students from the Bible college and eventually invited his son, Paul, and his young family to join the church-planting work in Burnsville. The church shown in the photo was completed in 2012.
Mar 26, 2017
RHUNITED_6705.JPG
River Hills United Methodist ChurchAnother view of River Hills United Methodist Church from Highway 13 in 2017, Note the scultured cross.Mar 26, 2017
churchtoopen.jpg
River Hills United Methodist Church to be established 1964In the spring of 1964, the Rev. Gordon M. Wendland was assigned to the Burnsville community by the Bishop of the Evangelical United Brethren Church with the specific purpose of gathering a congregation. On Sept. 13, 1964, 94 people gathered at the Sioux Trail School for the 1st worship service. On Dec. 6th, 1964, 165 people attended the service in which 72 of them became part of the organizations Charter group. Mar 26, 2017
RHUNITED6701.JPG
River Hills United Methodist Church, 2017Side view of the church from Highway 13.Mar 26, 2017
RHUNITED6708.JPG
River HIlls United Methodist Church front entry 2017.Located in South River Hills, 11100 River Hills Drive, Burnsville.Mar 26, 2017
RHUnited_6706.JPG
River Hill United Methodist Church 2017Located in South River Hills, 11100 River Hills Drive, Burnsville.

From their website the following history is provided:
December 6, 1964, Charter Sunday for River Hills Evangelical United Brethren Church, which became River Hills United Methodist in 1968

In the spring of 1964, the Rev. Gordon M. Wendland was assigned to the Burnsville community by the Bishop of the Evangelical United Brethren Church with the specific purpose of gathering a congregation. On Sept. 13, 1964, 94 people gathered at the Sioux Trail School for the 1st worship service. On Dec. 6th, 1964, 165 people attended the service in which 72 of them became part of the organizations Charter group. Fourteen of these Charter members are still a part of River Hills Church. After more than 50 years our membership has grown from 72 to 600 members.

Nov. 22, 1964 ground was broken for the first 2 units of the church building. Sunday School and worship services were held for the first time in the new building on Oct. 15, 1965.

In April of 1968, Pastor and Mrs. Wendland went to Dallas, Texas to participate in the events which resulted in the church being officially named as River Hills United Methodist Church. The Union Sunday in Minnesota was celebrated June 2, 1968.

As our church membership grows, so does our need for facilities to meet this challenge in Christian education. The challenge was met, and the new sanctuary with greatly increased Sunday School facilities was consecrated on November 19, 1972.

In December 1976 we received a substantial memorial gift in memory of Mrs. Anna Vucurevich (mother of John Vucurevich, Claudia Ireland’s father-in-law) which enabled us to have pews installed and pave the parking lot.

With help from funds provided by the United Methodist Women’s Bazaar and the Catering Committee, A new kitchen was added in 1977.
Mar 26, 2017
Mass-Panoramic-from-Back-of-Church.jpg
Mary Mother of the ChurchBaptism font, pews and altar are shown during a Mass at Mary Mother of the Church located on Cliff Road. Approx date - 2016.Mar 24, 2017
Easter-Church.jpg
Mary Mother of the Church, Easter 2016The Main altar area of Mary Mother of the Church on Cliff Road, decorated for Easter.Mar 24, 2017
zappagrave.jpg
Grave stone for Fr.James Zappa (Mary Mother of the Church)Second pastor of Mary Mother of the Church retired early due to illness and died in 2015. He was a 20 year pastor of the church. At one time he was the Assistant Priest at St. John the Baptist, Savage.

From his obit:
A priest in real life and longtime pastor of Mary, Mother of the Church in Burnsville, Father James C. Zappa Jr. also will be remembered for playing the role of a medieval cardinal for many years as one of the actors at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival.
Father Zappa

Ordained in 1976, Father Zappa served as an associate pastor at St. John the Baptist in Savage, Holy Trinity in South St. Paul and St. William in Fridley. He was pastor of Immaculate Heart of Mary in St. Paul from 1985 until 1991, when he joined Father Donald Burns as co-pastor of Mary, Mother of the Church. When Father Burns retired in 1993, Father Zappa became pastor, the position he held until June 30 of this year, when he was granted retirement for health reasons.

.
Mar 22, 2017
frzappa.jpg
Fr. James Zappa Mary Mother of the Church.Second Pastor of Mary Mother of the Church. Born 1949 died 2015, burial Resurrection, Mendota Heights MN.Mar 22, 2017
stjamesstanding.jpg
St James Lutheran moves to BurnsvilleWhen the church needed to expand it moved from downtown Savage to property on today's Williams Road near Judicial Road in Burnsville.Mar 22, 2017
stjamessavage.jpg
St. James Lutheran Church Savage locationSt. James Lutheran Church was established in Savage and served both Savage and Burnsville.Mar 22, 2017
anniversarymary.jpg
Mary Mother of the Church, Cliff Road, Burnsville2016 Celebration of their 50th anniversary.

Mary, Mother of the Church was established on September 7, 1965, by Archbishop Leo Binz. Father Donald Burns was named founding Pastor. The Church is located on 22 acres of former farmland, twenty of which were once owned by parishioner Joe Kennelly. The parish began with 550 charter households.

In 1966, thirty parishioners planted the 900 evergreen trees along the south border of the Mary Mother parish grounds. Today, many parishioners plant seeds of faith in giving their time and sharing their gifts in numerous ways. The first Sunday masses were held in the gymnasium of Cedar School in Eagan. All other religious activities were conducted at the former rectory located on North River Hills Drive.

In 1967 a Building and Finance Committee was formed and an architect commissioned for the construction of the church and the original Parish Center. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on March 9, 1969. Formal dedication followed on May 18th, with Archbishop Leo Binz presiding.

By the mid-1970s, the parish was serving 1,645 households. To accommodate this growth and expanding program needs, an addition to the Parish Center was built in 1976.

In 1986, the Parish Pastoral Council formed a Long Range Planning Committee to study and make recommendations for future needs in the areas of staffing, services, facilities, and finance. After thorough review, the existing Parish Center was renovated to maximize use of existing space, and construction of a new 18,000 square foot addition was built. The project was completed in November of 1988.

Mary Mother has grown and matured over the years and will begin celebrating its 50th anniversary in the fall of 2015. We are a parish with generous portions of both young and old. From our peak growth of 3,200 families and 10,000 people, we have since stabilized at about 2,000 families.
Mar 21, 2017
       
800 files on 27 page(s) 27