A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Last additions
Column - Bike Paths NeededDick Duerre September 1977Dec 10, 2016
Incorporation: Plan B ExplainedOn August 1st, the Burnsville village council established a citi­zens study committee, composed of nine people from Burnsville, to study the different forms of vil­lage government. After complet­ing its study, this committee sub­mitted its written report to the council and recommended adoption­ of plan B, also known as the council-manager form of govern­ment.Dec 10, 2016
Incorporation Hearing - October 24,1962The wheels were turning for Burnsville to incorporate as a village. Where would the boundaries lie? Egan, Inver Grove Townships, and the Orchard Gardens area wanted to be heard.
This hearing was continued until November 14, 1962
Dec 10, 2016
Burnsville School Dedication1960 District 191 first construction of what because High SchoolDec 09, 2016
A Survey of Government: Education (1968) Provisional League of Women VotersBurnsville, a fast growing municipality in the Twin City metropolitan area, lies just south of the Minnesota River in northern Dakota County. It is noted for its gently rolling, wooded land and a wide view of the river valley. Crystal Lake, Lake Alimagnet, and Buck Hill are additional scenic attractions. Transportation to the Twin Cities and nearby suburbs is provided by Highway 13, which follows the old Sioux Trail along the river, and Interstate 35W.
Once a farming community, modern Burnsville is for the most part a residential area of middle income families who work elsewhere. The population, which jumped from 2,500 in 1960 to an estimated 15,000 in 1967, is youthful. More than half of the residents are under 20 years of age. (more)
Dec 09, 2016
Metcalf Testimonial ProgramProgram for Testimonial Dinner for John A. Metcalf on June 11, 1970.Dec 09, 2016
John Metcalf Faculty Workshop Sept 1964transcript of his message to facultyDec 09, 2016
Burnsville Center Grand Opening PosterPat Paulsen was the celebrity employed to promote Burnsville Center during its launch and first year.Dec 07, 2016
Lumber from the O'Regan barn"The lumber in this sign was part of O’Reagan's barn which stood probably here for over 80 years. This barn has seen bad and good crops, campfires, Indians, wagon trains, snow, flood, drought – life. Through these old boards may we remember the past and dedicate this land to Kmart." This stood at the corner of Burnsville Parkway and Hwy 13.Dec 07, 2016
O'Regan Farmhouse Burned for ProgressIn 1973 the O'Regan farmhouse was burned. The site was to become part of commercial development. including the first Kmart in Burnsville. Near Highway 13 and
Dec 07, 2016
Jack O'ReganJack O'Regan, whose parents settled in Burnsville in 1856.Dec 07, 2016
hay stacksDec 07, 2016
Lannon Farm - HarvestingTruck being loaded labelled Lannon Farm. Combine Harvester is labeled McCormick Deering.Dec 07, 2016
County Road 11 - Electricity and Phones Gravel road of what becomes County Road 11 shows electric and/or phone lines and what early roads may have looked like.Dec 07, 2016
Orchard Gardens StationNational Register (Dan Patch Line)
Orchard Gardens Railway Station

Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street
This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the track side shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.

Additional Information:
According to the National Register nomination, Orchard Gardens farmers concentrated on onion production until 1920 when disease damaged this crop. Eggs, milk, apples and flowers replaced onions on the station's dock. A new commuter crowd evolved in the 1920s and 30s after agricultural depression forced many local landowners to find employment in Minneapolis. In 1983, the Skyblazers 4-H club of the Burnsville-Lakeville area renovated the station as part of their annual community service program. No signage appears on the building to denote it as a historic site.
Dec 07, 2016
Dan Patch TrainPhoto of the combination engine and car used on the Dan Patch LineDec 07, 2016
View of Interstate 35Dec 07, 2016
Early Lyndale Avenue (from slide show)Lyndale Avenue connecting Bloomington and Burnsville.
Dec 07, 2016
Billy Goat BridgeBuilt around 1915 at junction of Judicial Road and Burnsville Parkway (modern name). Originally called McDermott's bridge. Later renamed for goats raised by Peter family who farm was in same location.Dec 07, 2016
Cedar Avenue Bridge in FogThe original Old Cedar Avenue Bridge was built in 1890. The bridge that stands now was built in 1920 and carried automobile traffic into the 1990s.[1] The narrow span continued operation as a bicycle trail until 2002 when it was deemed too unsafe. In 2008, $2 million in state funding was approved to reopen the bridge to bicyclists and pedestrians. Dec 07, 2016
Road Maintenance with Martin GallagherMarty Gallagher with two draft horses maintaining roads. Dec 07, 2016
Photo of Township Records 1860Dec 07, 2016
One family's childrenunidentified childrenDec 07, 2016
On the ice with our dogunidentifedDec 07, 2016
Horse and buggy drawingDec 07, 2016
Hunting PartnersFrank and Gene KearneyDec 07, 2016
Burnsville Early Baseball Team from slide showunidentified believed to be 1939 teamDec 07, 2016
Taking the produce to market (SLIDE SHOW PHOTO)Photo at the William Connelly farm.Dec 07, 2016
Horses were the normDec 07, 2016
Cows and calfs, farmers and sonsphotographer in shadowDec 07, 2016
22408 files on 747 page(s) 736