From Scotland, Too
Warning: Parameter 1 to Cite::clearState() expected to be a reference, value given in /nfs/c02/h06/mnt/40557/domains/burnsvillehistory.org/html/wiki/includes/Hooks.php on line 195
From Burnsville History Wiki
McColl and Nixon
The McColls, like most early settlers, looked for three things when choosing a homestead... water supply, wood lot for shelter and fuel, and grassland for stock fodder and fields. The two McColl families first settled on the east shore of Prior Lake. Since they had come in 1854, they undoubtedly squatted as did their predominantly Irish friends in Burnsville until they could preempt their land under "squatters rights" of the Homestead Act.
Soon the McColls chose what they felt was a better farm on County Road #16 in Burnsville school district.
It was about the same year that the Nixon family acquired that abandoned fur trading post on the Credit River, north of Teepee Hill. Mary Nixon, the first white child born in Scott County was born in that log structure. She became the wife of Archie McColl, Sr. Together they built a fine home and developed the farm still standing to the north of the corner where County Road #16 takes off from #34, going westward. It is still gravel, but was a well-used Indian trail going from Black Dog's village to Shakpay's village.
Even though Indians were moved by the hundreds to the reservation on the Minnesota River near Redwood Falls, many remained. Archie, as a boy, watched them gallop by on Indian ponies with black hair streaming. They didn't bother anyone as long as no one bothered them.
Being Scotch, the McColls were Presbyterian. They, too, needed a place of worship and a respectable burial ground. The Glendale cemetery, a couple of miles further west on the same road, was a suitable spot. The foundation of the little church can still be found in the long grass on the west side. The grave of Margaret Nixon McColl is very clearly marked as are many other graves of early settlers. A fine iron fence and perfectly preserved hitching posts by the gate surround this cemetery. This was a gift in 1898 of Mr. Berrisford who owned and operated the first Burnsville store located on the southwest corner of Judicial Road and County Road 34.
The McColls remember Indian stories. Walter, Archie's brother, told about his father feeling sorry for the squaws trying to scratch holes in the soil in which to plant their corn before the tribe would leave for the annual summer buffalo hunts. He offered to plow up ground with his oxen to make it easier for them. They came back in the fall expecting to harvest their corn but settlers let their stock run on open range since barbed wire fences hadn't come on the scene. Of course the corn was eaten and the indignant Indians shot any stock they could see except that of Archie McColl, Sr. because they remembered that he had helped them.
Florence McColl also remembers an Indian and his wife by the name of Davy La Flambeau who used to live in a tent on the Credit River most of the year, fishing in the stream and hunting for wild plants which on- ly they knew how to use. Ginseng was especially hunted. When the cold became very severe they moved into Shakopee with others of their tribe. In fact, a descendent, Mrs. Calem, still lives in a green house near the millpond in Shakopee.