Burnsville's Attic: A Wiki for Burnsville
Warning: Parameter 1 to Cite::clearState() expected to be a reference, value given in /nfs/c02/h06/mnt/40557/domains/burnsvillehistory.org/html/wiki/includes/Hooks.php on line 195
From Burnsville History Wiki
- 1916 Farm Directory
- 1976 Bicentennial History
- Burnsville's Attic: A Wiki for Burnsville
- Burnsville's Distant Past: How Can We Know?
- Burnsville's Railroads
- Burnsville That Was
- Burnsville in the 1960s and 70s
- From Scotland, Too
- Jens Caspersen
- Jeremiah Sweeney
- On The Farm
- Orchard Gardens
- Plat Maps
- Saint John the Baptist Church
- Summary of References
- The Big Woods
- The Kohl's Farm
- The Oldest House
- The Passing of the Privy
- The Swanson Farm
- Windmill House
- X Editing Reference
So what is a WIKI and how did Burnsville get one?
The best answer is taken from the most famous Wiki, which millions of us use every day: Wikipedia
The online encyclopedia project Wikipedia is by far the most popular wiki-based website, and is in fact one of the most widely viewed sites of any kind of the world, having been ranked in the top ten since 2007. Wikipedia is not a single wiki but rather a collection of hundreds of wikis, one for each language. There are at least tens of thousands of other wikis in use, both public and private, including wikis functioning as knowledge management resources, notetaking tools, community websites and intranets.So Burnsville's History Wiki is one of these thousands of "other" Wiki resources.
The most powerful feature of the Wiki is its searching capability. Try it and see!
- You should know that our wiki software (MediaWiki) is "open source" meaning free for us to adapt and use. So why do we ask for your financial support? Although no BVHS volunteer is paid, there are expenses and we do have a wish list. For example, we are using borrowed equipment and long to have our own computer, if just to hold our 3 terabytes of digital archives.
We will be adding articles to this online resource and you can too. If you have a submission, or an idea for an article, please contact us by email!