A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > Burnsville Historical Society and other local efforts

Most viewed - Burnsville Historical Society and other local efforts
feb2015news.pdf
Feb. 2015 Burnsville Historical Society Newsletter154 viewsThis issue includes: Flooded with memories - the 1965 Flood.
There once was a farm - an interview with life long resident Eldon Kohls and a listing of Board of Directors: Jeff Jerde -president, Len Nachman - Vice President, Bonnie Boberg - Secretary, Kevin Swanson- Treasurer and Trustees - Peter Jerde, Marcia Marshall, Gordan Nambuduripad, JoAn Paymar and Carrie Corson Webb.
Nov_2013_hs_newsletter.pdf
Burnsville Historical Society Newsletter November 2013154 viewsA periodic publication of the Burnsville Historical Society. Topics included: An invitation to veterans to attend the November 16, 2013 meeting to share their stories. A photo of Lloyd and Floyd Holman and their sister Betty Kamrud from 1979 was included. Both brothers served in the US Army and Betty was president of the Burnsville American Legion Auxiliary. Also included a thank you to prior speaker Carol Oeltjenbruns and residents who provided photos to the society.
Burnsville_HS_Newsletter_March_2015.pdf
Burnsville Historical Society Newsletter March, 2015149 viewsFrom time to time the Historical Society published a paper newsletter. Topics in this issue included:
Marcia Marshall, Trustee remembers Burnsville of the 1960's and 1970s.
The Flood of 1965 topic of February meeting
Bring a friend to our meetings
Photos - Neill school being built
Speakers at the February meeting -
Burnsville_His_Newsletter_Oct_2014.pdf
Burnsville Historical Society Newsletter October 2014148 viewsFrom time to time the Historical Society published a paper newsletter. Topics in this issue included: The Farm on the Hill by Kevin Swanson - the story of the Swanson family and farm at Crystal Lake, Jeff Jerde's column "Let's do this!"... An invitation to help the society uncover the stories about Burnsville founding families, Bonnie Boberg's column, and a photo of the Erwin and later Connelly farm.
July_1983_burnsville_HS_newsletter.pdf
Burnsville Chapter of Dakota County Historical Society July 1983 newsletter142 viewsCity of Burnsville approves the placement of a wall display designed by the Historical Society.
Volunteers needed to assist with a cooperative project with the School District honoring teachers of 25 years.
Fire Muster- Historical Society will sell books.
A traveling photo display.
Burnsville_Community_Hist_Apr_1984.pdf
Burnsville Community History Newsletter April 1984139 viewsIn Vol 3, issue 2, the historical society presents: Farm life shown in the photos of youngsters Edna and Earl Holman on their farm. Burnsville's two month mayor - Donald Holmes. Holmes was transferred to Georgia after only two months as mayor, and former Mayor Al Hall is selected as his replacement. A History of Good Shepherd Church, Burnsville listings in the 1925 Dakota County Farm Directory, Burnsville Civil War vets and "It wasn't always 35W".
Burnsville_HS_newsletter_Apr_2015~0.pdf
Burnsville Historical Society Newsletter April 2015134 viewsFrom time to time the Historical Society published a paper newsletter. Topics in this issue included:
A Ripping Good Story -The Reburial of Charlie McCarthy... guest speaker Larry Korteum at the groups April meeting.
Also, looking ahead to October, plans for the 2015 Ames Center exhibit.
Centennial_time_capsule_2002.pdf
Burnsville Centennial Time Capsule133 viewsSaturday September 7, 2002 at 9:00 a.m. Placed in the sculpture honoring the construction industry located on Burnsville Parkway at Pleasant Avenue, Burnsville, MInnesota...space was provided in the sculpture base for the placement of a time capsule. A committee of citizen volunteers and city staff indentified and prepared materials for a Centennial Time Capsule which will be opened on the occasion of the city's 100th anniversary of incorporation as a village in the year 2064...
july1873vol2no3.pdf
Burnsville Community History newsletter - July, 1983 Vol. 2 No. 3128 viewsA quarterly publication of the Burnsville Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Society. This issue featured: The Skyline Squares dance club, A photo taken at a Sunday picnic at Crystal Lake around the year 1900 - with a number of the people identified and the Solaron Festival of the Future.
vol4no1.pdf
Burnsville Community History Newsletter Vol.4 - No. 1 (FINAL EDITION)122 viewsBurnsville Historical Society Quarterly newsletter. This issue announces the End of the Chapter, Stories on: The Festi/ville community event, Cemetery records, Minneosta Valley Review Newspaper, Burnsville patrons from 1874, a History of River Hills United Methodist Church, and a photo of the Butler family cabin at Crystal lake with three daughters Mary, Bridget and Julia.
bvill2000book.jpg
The Burnsville 2000 History Book Committee122 viewsWhen the 1976 Burnsville History was published, the leader of the project Richard Brooks challenged the community to write a book every 25 years. In 1999 a group of residents, former residents and interested people joined together to create a second Burnsville History Book. Those involved in the "big red book" were -
Front Row - Tom Lisec, Len Nachman, Connie Morrison, Evelyn Kjos, Susan Seiberlich, Jan Hennings and Mike Falk.

Middle Row - Charlotte Shover, Nancy Abicht, Charlie Crichton, Chuck Siggerud and Marian Geddes.

Back Row - Gary Kubat (EDITOR) Paul Gilje, John Gessner, Bob Belongie, Jack Kennelly, Bernie Peroz, Mike O'Connor and George Burkards.

Not pictured - Susan Flecker, Grant Robinson, Del Stelling, Betty Sodomka Daly, Anne Voels and Mary Ziegenhagen.
Gramsey_HIstory.pdf
Gramsey history of Burnsville Township121 viewsHistory of BurnsvilleTwp.
By Mrs. Louis Gramsey

The reminiscence of events which have transpired in and about this neighborhood is very interesting, historically. There is a fascination in the study of the intermingled facts and fiction of the past, which is heightened by a familiarity with the localities mentioned.

“Speaking of the Minnesota River, which flows through our native village creates a new inter­est, when, in imagination, we see the Indians canoe on its surface and the skin-covered tepees on its banks, as in days of yore.”

Many of the folks of today can recall the stories of pioneers who have first settled in this terri­tory, of the log cabins, straw roofs and rude betterments from which villages, towns and cities sprang up.

Most of the pioneers of this ter­ritory came down from the North, which is now Canada, following the rivers wherever possible en­ countering not only the hardships of bitter cold winters and hostile Indians, but much sickness as well. The first settlement made was Mendota in 1824. It was a trading post of the American Fur Company.

General H. H. Sibley, who was a partner in this Fur Company of New York, arrived in Mendota and built the first stone store and residence in 1835. The stone structure still stands and is, at present, a home for a family who, perhaps, have been unable to find other living quarters.

One by one, families came mov­ing in and around Mendota and westward along Minnesota River.

The township of Burnsville, in the west end of the county, was settled in 1852 by one of the first settlers named William Byrnes. He and his five sons also came down from Canada. Thus this township acquired its name.

More of the first settlers who came about 1850, were the McCoys, Nixons, McDermotts, O’­Neils, Woodruffs and many more.

Perhaps many of you descend ants of these sturdy pioneers can close your eyes and picture in your minds this community a wilderness of tall trees and under-growth and inhabited by uncivil­ized red men. Visualize our fore­fathers moving by boats all their belongings and then unloading wherever possible to find places for building their future homes. Had it occurred to many of us in thought, what hardships those pioneers endured!

The township of Burnsville it­ self was definitely organized on May 11, 1858. Its boundaries are as follows: On the north, by the Minnesota River, east by Eagan and Lebanon townships, south by Lakeville township and west by Scott County.


As I said before, when the first settlers arrived, much of its landwas covered with timber, mostly what was known as oak openings. As the large timber was cut off, much of the thick undergrowth sprang up. Many fine farms are the results of the persevering in­dustry of our pioneers.

The drainage of the town was and still is, excellent, with the Minnesota river on. the north covering many acres during the rainy seasons. On the east, we have an irregular formed lake called Alimagnet, known now as Erler’s Lake.

In the southeast comer of the township lays a much larger lake. The Indians called it “Minnie Elk.” At the time, when the gov­ernment survey was made, its clear and shining surface led to its adoption of “Crystal Lake.” It covers about 600 acres and on the Southwest corner is a beautiful island of about twenty acres, known as “Maple Isle.”

When this country was the home of the “red man” this lake was a great resort for deer as well as the Indian and according to the earliest settlers, (picture this) large bands of red men pitched their tepees on the shores to fish and hunt. At the west end of the lake is a high hill, an elevation of about three hundred feet, which was named “Buck Hill.”

Then the district was organized, and comprised of the whole town of Burnsville having the follow­ing officers: Clerk, Pat Lynch, director and treasurer, John Mc­Coy. This building served the purpose till 1867, when a new building of lumber was constructed on the C. O’Neil farm.

In 1862 this district was numbered 16, when by an act of the state legis­lature all the districts of the state were renumbered. The new of­ficers of district 16 then were: Pat Moran, director, Mr. Welch, treas­urer, and P. Foley, as clerk. In District 15, their first school was built on the Thomas Hogan farm and later a frame building was replaced in 1879 with John T. De­laney as director, T. O’Regan, treasurer and Michael Coffey as clerk.

The first church, built of logs and begun in 1854, was completed in 1855. It comprised of ten fami­lies under the ministration of Father McMannis.

After Father McMannis came Father Fischer and during his ministry, a parsonage was erected of lumber and during Father Stevens ministry, a new church was begun nearby the present Burnsville cemetery.

There were no records of the town politically, if any kept, until 1860 when the first meeting of organization was held April 3 at the house of James Kearney. The following officers were elect­ed: Thomas Burns, chairman, for whom the township was named; Thomas Hogan and Patrick Har­kins, supervisors, and Michael In 1854 when Francis Newel land his family came from Chi­cago, he homesteaded near Crys­tal Lake, now the Holman farm.

The Butlers, having homesteaded in 1856. Pat Harkins settled near Lake Earley, now known as the Clarence Nelson farm and W. Connelly, clerk. Earley, where Wallace Day now lives. McDermott once owned the farm now occupied by Earl Swan­ son and Walshs homesteaded on the southeast end of Crystal Lake, now owned by Fischer brothers.

I could go on naming many more settlers who came and homesteaded in those early days, such as the Fitzgibbons, Lynchs, Gallaghers, Hayes, Keneallys and scores of others.

With these early pioneers came the desires not only the thoughts of schools, but religious services as well. The first services was held in the home of Wm. Byrnes 1853 by Father Ravoux, then a Priest at Mendota.

The first child born was Kate Kearney, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Kearney, in 1854. The first mar­riage united was James Lynn to Ellen Rowan in 1856. The first death was Mr. O’Hara, father of Mrs. John McCoy, in 1854 and the second was'Francis Newell. Both men were buried in a little grave on the top of what was known as Tepee Hill, later called Burnsville cemetery.

The first school was taught in the home of John McCoy by John Mullen in 1856. In the meantime, a log schoolhouse was erected on a corner of Mr. McCoy’s land and in 1857 school was taught by Andrew Carberry.

A special town meeting was called June 20, 1860 and a tax of $100 was voted for current ex­penses of the town. It was at this meeting, S. Newell was elect­ ed postmaster and Patrick Hynes, assessor.
The first road established in the town was the old territorial road known as the St. Paul and Shakopee road opened about 1853. The first town road opened south from the center of section 15, bearing southeast to Crystal Lake and leaving the town from Section 32 was known as Lakeville and Shakopee road.

The first railroad was chartered as the Minnesota Valley railroad company March 4, 1864. This construction from St. Paul to St. James was completed in 1870. This is now known as the Omaha railroad.

The first store was built in 1872 and owned by John Berrisford. Its site was at the junction of St. Paul, Shakopee and Lakeville Shakopee roads.

The first and only hotel called “Lakeside Hotel” was operated by Lewis Judd at Crystal Lake on the north shore on what was known as the Newell estate. His home, then opened to excursionists and travellers, still stands and is now the home of Mrs. Ella Holman.
hisjan15.pdf
Burnsville Historical Society Jan 2015 newsletter119 viewsJeff Jerde president writes a periodic newsletter about Burnsville history and the Society's plans.
fall1982vol1no1.pdf
Burnsville Community History Newsletter vol 1 no. 1 Fall 1982119 viewsThe first newsletter produced by the Burnsville Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Society. Topics included: School named for state pioneer (Edward Neill) plans for the chapter and Meet A Neighbor - Charles O'Neill early pioneer.
april1983vol2no2.pdf
Burnsville Community History newsletter - April,1983 Vol. 2 No. 2119 viewsA quarterly publication of the Burnsville Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Society. This issue featured: KNUT radio in Burnsville, A history of logos including the City of Burnsville and high school logos and Meet a Neighbor - Michael and Mariah Gallagher.
oct1983vol2no4.pdf
Burnsville Community History newsletter - October 1983 - Vol 2, No. 4116 viewsA quarterly publication of the Burnsville Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Society. This issue featured: Blackdog Villiage visited by writer/artist, The planned historical photo display at City Hall, and Meet a Neighbor - Whilhelmina and William Kohls.
Gelhar_and_mary_pat_kelleher.JPG
Burnsville Historical Society 2017 Exhibit115 viewsThe Gelhar's with Mary Pat Kelleher. Joe, who owns Joe's Home Repair and Remodeling, lives on the corner of Judicial Road and Williams Drive, on your near the spot where the Berrisford Store and St. John the Baptist Church stood. Also early maps show some of the Byrne family living in that same area.
Northern_States_Power_2000_Book.jpg
Northern States Power Plant113 viewsNorthern States Power Plant in Minnesota River Valley used on page 30 of the Burnsville History Book. Photo from Dakota County Historical Society.
jan1983vol2no1.pdf
Burnsville Community History newsletter - January, 1983 Vol.2, No. 1111 viewsA quarterly publication of the Burnsville Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Society. This issue featured: A biography of John Berrisford - who owned Burnsville's first general store, a story about the Lucky 13 "Hamburger Joint", Sullivan's Supervalu, High school artists re-create historic sites, and the 1982 Annual Report to the membership.
godan2C_mary_pat_kelleher2C_pat_jerde.JPG
Godan Nambudiripad, Mary Pat Kelleher, Pat Jerde Burnsville Historical Society 2017111 viewsBurnsville Historical Society volunteers Godan, Mary Pat and Pat begin working hanging photos for the 2017 Photo exhibit at the Ames Center.
Title: Burnsville Historical Society, We're doing the digital thing ties into the celebration of the update of the website to include over 5000 photos.
oct2013bhistory.pdf
Oct 2013 Burnsville Historial Society Newsletter110 viewsUnderstanding our medical history from Hennepin to Dakota County.
Membership report
Volunteer projects
Radithor
Looking back 30 years Burnsville Current October 24, 1983 featuring Jens Caspersen
Looking back 100 years (World and local history)
Looking back 50 years (World and local history)
Old songs
collegecropeed.jpg
Jack Kennelly 1976109 viewsJack Kennelly was one of the writers and photographers for the Burnsville 76 A Community History Book.
Burnsville_HS_Newsletter_Nov_2014.pdf
Burnsville Historical Society Newsletter November 2014109 viewsThis issue includes: An invitation to the November Annual Meeting where Charlotte Shover will speak about researching the Civil War; Winter storms to remember; The St. Paul and Sioux Railroad and Image it is 1870. Board members were: Len Nachman - President, Jeff Jerde - Vice President and newsletter editor, Bonnie Boberg Secretary, Kevin Swanson Treasurer, and Trustees Duane Barclay, Rose Barclay, Peter Jerde, Marcia Marshall, Gordan Nambuduripad, JoAn Paymar and Carrie Corson Webb.
090_test_scan_of_crop_photo_of_Richard_Brooks_1976.jpg
Richard Brooks 1976108 viewsRichard Brooks of the Dakota County Library system and a Burnsville resident had a dream that any Burnsville Bicentennial project include the publication of a history of Burnsville. He found pool of volunteers who accomplished his goal - the first published history of Burnsville. He is shown at the debut of the book.
Billy_Goat_Bridge_2000_History.jpg
Billy Goat Bridge108 viewsPhoto which appeared in the Burnsville 2000 History. Original - Dakota County Historical Society.
jan1984vol3no1.pdf
Burnsville Community History newsletter - January, 1984 Vol. 3 No. 1106 viewsA quarterly publication of the Burnsville Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Society. This issue included: The year in review (activities of the group in 1983), Burnsville Memories with a map showing existing and past historic sites, and a century of Burnsville News tying into the 100th anniversary of the Dakota County Tribune.
Burnsville_76_game_plan.pdf
Game plan for the Burnsville 76 Community HIstory Book106 viewsBetty Lannon Sodomka was very active in the initial development of a plan to write a Burnsville History book. Within her hand written notes she suggests a forward to the book: Burnsville 76 A Community History - We leave to some future committee or writer this book as a challenge and a charge to do better the documentation of the rich history of our community.

Also listed are resources: Neill - the History of Dakota County, Bray - A Million Years in Minnesota - Burnsville Township -Civic and criminal docket 1883 - 1960, Ryberg - Minnesota River from it's mouth at the Mississippi River to New Elm, Bryan - A History of the Sioux Massacre of 1862 and microfilms of the Dakota County Tribune.

She also lists Burnsville residents interviewed.
77_9470_0167a_BU_1980.jpg
The original Burnsville Historical Society traveling display106 viewsWith limited resources and a limited budget, the Burnsville Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Society created their first traveling display consisting of 4 panels. Shown are the first two.
curtis_miller_and_jeff_jerde.JPG
Burnsville Historical Society 2017 Exhibit105 viewsWayzata History Teacher Curtis Miller was at another event at the Ames Center October 5, 2017 when he discovered is was a photo history of Burnsville. The irony, he grew up at Crystal Lake and recognized the photo of Oscar Dally. Here he and Jeff Jerde of the Historical Society talk Crystal Lake memories.
godan_and_pat__7095.JPG
Godan Nambudiripad and Pat Jerde Burnsville Historical Society 2017104 viewsGodan, Pat and other volunteers begin set-up of the 2017 Burnsville Historical Society photo exhibit at the Ames Center.
660 files on 22 page(s) 1