A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Most viewed
Sears at Burnsville Center138 viewsElaine Hall Burnsville resident and former model at Sears during a make-up department promotion. November 9, 1977 Burnsville Current photo.
Chief Pinneshaw's Village was located on the north bank of the Minnesota River 1965138 viewsMinnesota Valley Review January 7, 1965: A story on the earliest times of life on the bank of the Minnesota River.
B Dalton Kids Burnsville Center138 viewsNo longer in business, both B Dalton and B Dalton Kids (bookstore) was located at the Burnsville Center in the 1980s. Photo compliments of the Burnsville Center.
Burnsville by air 1989138 viewsThis is a copy of a newspaper clipping showing the Fairview Ridges campus, County Road 42 and surrounding area of Burnsville by air.
Oscar Dally behind his house in Burnsville.137 viewsOscar's store was very close to the roadway, with just enough room for roadside parking. The house is set back (it still exists in 2016.) The house was restored beautifully, an addition added to the rear, while preserving the as-built portion to the east.
late 1920s or 1930s.
WJ-2H-133137 views
Lucky 13 drive-in 137 viewsLucky 13 Drive-in - Hamburgers, shakes, chicken... located at Highway 13 and Co. Rd. 11, opened 1956. A great stop after a movie at the Lucky Twin, also on Highway 13.
Jackie Vezzoli 1979137 views Jacqueline (Jackie) Marie Vezzoli, age 79, of Hinckley, passed away on 4/19/2015 in her home, surrounded by family and friends.

Jacqueline was born on February 19, 1936 to Elias (Al) and Bess Kraft in Pierre, South Dakota. On June 16, 1956 she married H. Jake Vezzoli in Aberdeen, South Dakota. In 1964 they moved to Burnsville, MN their home for the next 37 years. She moved to Hinckley, MN in 2001. Jackie enjoyed family, sports, crosswords, traveling, gardening, baking and most importantly her grandchildren.

Her legacy includes always helping others including being one of the founders of the Armful of Love Christmas program.
Ted Seidel137 viewsTed Seidel began at Burnsville High School in 1965 and dedicated thirty-one years of his life there, teaching German and continuing his passion for the game of soccer, by developing and coaching the boys' soccer program. During his thirty-one years at Burnsville High School, he impacted the lives of countless students and athletes, and celebrated several unforgettable State Championship seasons with his players. He died October 7, 2015.
Oscar Dally 137 viewsOscar Dally cabin at Crystal Lake.
Clover Shopping Center Bloomington137 viewsAn early photo of the Clover Shopping Center at 35 W and 98th Street in Bloomington.
Burnsville Name Belies That of Irish Founder136 viewsBy RALPH THORNTON
Mlnneapolis Star - November 26, 1963

High atop a windswept hill just south of the Minnesota River in Dakota County, in the cemetery he gave to his community, is the grave of William Byrne, early settler of Burnsville.

But what may make the old patriarch rest uneasily, according to his descendants, is that · his township today bears a Scottish name rather than one commemorating its Irish beginnings.

There are others who will stoutly maintain that Burns is also a good old Gaelic name.

Nearly every headstone in the old Mount Calvary cemetery there's a name such as Duffy, O'Brien, Dillon, Dempsey, Hanrahan, Gallagher and Murphy.

Burial Ground
From the burial ground one may look over the former Byrne Farm, another portion of which its owners gave for the settlements first Chapel, built logs in 1853.

Earlier, the first services have been celebrated in the Byrne home by father Ravoux, Noted missionary priest from Mendota.

The discrepancy and the spelling of the name of the town and that of its founder is due to a clerical error, said Mrs. Dorothy Byrne Benson. 127 W. Lake Street, enough is to live in great grandchildren. The other, John Byrne, resides in Phoenix Arizona.

Their family history states that William Bern, a native of County Kilkenny, Ireland, sailed to Montréal Canada about 1820. In 1853 he homesteaded near the junction of the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers.

"The Township of Burnsville was then established", reads the story.
10 children

William Bern and his wife Julia had 10 children and many grandchildren. Their sons James, Daniel and John had 15, 10 and 10 children, respectively.

With so many Byrnes in the area, some added an "S" to their name to facilitate delivery of mail.

Later William Byrne moved to west St. Paul, where he died in 1877 at the age of 81.One of his grandsons was monsignor James C Bern, well-known St. Paul Catholic priest

Records in the Minnesota historical Society bear out details of this history,But referred to the family as "Burns."

The census of 1860 lists Burns, his wife and children as Burns. The history of Dakota County by Rev. Edward T Neill, states that "In 1853 William Burns and family came from CanadaAnd settled in the north west corner of town."

However, the history states that "early records of the town from its date organization until 1860 were destroyed. It kept at all. The first officers of the town did not appear. At the time of its organization that was named in honor of William Burns, father of several sons located in and adjoining the town.

At the first recorded town meeting, April 3, 1860, Thomas Burns, his son, was elected chairman, the book states period

And these historical records the family insists, the name Byrne seems to have been mistaken for Burns by official recorders. And this mistake gave the town its present name.

But it is Byrne on its founders tombstone in Mount Calvary Cemetery

Pat Connolly, Burnsville village clerk, said"I can remember when every house between Nichols Station (Cedar Avenue) and Savage as Irish." In that area lived the Ryans, Kennellys, O'Regans, Conroys, Kellehers and many others.

Whether Byrnesville or Burnsville, the Township, which plans to seek incorporation as a village soon, just wanted Minnesota's fastest growing communities.

Perhaps it's founder, William Byrne, would take pride in the flowering of the settlement he founded 110 years ago and forget the misspelling of his name.
WJ-2H-132136 views
January 19, 1974 Commencement of Class of 1974136 viewsProgram for the January 19, 1974 graduation.
Lake Alimagnet by air136 viewsLake Alimagnet County Road 11 area of Burnsville.
Burnsville Center elevator 1980s136 viewsA view of the Mall's elevator during the 1980s. Photo compliments of the Burnsville Center.
Burnsville Center by air undated estimated 1980s136 viewsAnother view of the shopping center, streets and the freeway compliments of the Burnsville Center.
Eaton's Ranch (Apple Valley)136 viewsA 1940's photo of the popular Eaton's Ranch on Cedar Avenue.
WJ-2H-181135 views
Burnsville Center opening day 1977135 viewsBurnsville Center is located in Burnsville, Minnesota. It is one of the larger enclosed malls in Minnesota with over 153 stores on 3 floors and approximately 1,100,000 square feet. The mall opened in 1977 after Hannah Rimnac sold farmland to Homart Development; however, the mall is now owned by CBL & Associates, a company which owns and operates over 32 malls throughout the United States.
1980 - The Lucky Twin Closes135 viewsThe popular outdoor theatre located at Highway 13 and Nicollet Avenue closed in 1980.
Cedar Avenue Bridge 1935135 viewsAn early photo of the Cedar Avenue Bridge in Eagan.
Archie Pickerign135 viewsArchie Pickerign - School District 191 Recreational Director. August 24, 1977 Burnsville Current.
Buck Hill 1954135 viewsA 1954 ad for Buck Hill.
Cliff Road 135 viewsShown is the Lannon farm in center of photo, River Hills and the Pepsi Plant.
Lucky Twin Movie Theatre135 viewsLucky Twin, looking east.
Burnsville Center Foot Action 1980s135 viewsNo longer at Burnsville Center, but a shoe option in the 1980s. Photo compliments of the Burnsville Center.
J. C. Penney Burnsville Center 2019135 viewsOur website shows photos of the interior of J.C. Penney at the Burnsville Center in 1978. This is a 2019 photo.
20413 files on 681 page(s) 9