A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > General > 1960s

1960s_record_player_28129.JPG
1960's Record playerThe Dakota County Historical Society displays a record player owned by a Dakota County teen in the early 1960's.
1960_permits.pdf
Burnsville's permits top 200 in 1960A January, 1961 Dakota County Tribune reports that according to Patrick Connelly, Clerk, over 400 building permits were issued the past two years with 204 in 1960.
1960_streets_photo.pdf
138th and Nicollet 19601960 - The horizontal road is 138th Street. Nicollet Avenue did not yet connect to County Road 42. Above is the Gallagher farm and below the Ratzlaff farm (photo below with aerial detail above). The Ratzlaff farm became the Ridges Campus, present location of Fairview Ridges Hospital, Prince of Peace Lutheran and other facilities. Poster created by the Burnsville Historical Society.
19655010aliceandtheresashopping.jpg
Alice Egan Kearney and Theresa Egan 1965Alice and her mother Theresa while shopping in downtown Minneapolis.
1966_cast.jpg
A Night with the IRISH 19661966 was the 8th Annual Night with the Irish, originally sponsored to benefit St. John the Baptist Church in Savage and coordinated by Joe Kennelly. When Mary Mother of the Church was organized in 1965 the event was sponsored by the new Parish but still included St. John's church and school.
1966_night_with_photos.jpg
A Night with the IRISH 19661966 was the 8th Annual Night with the Irish, originally sponsored to benefit St. John the Baptist Church in Savage and coordinated by Joe Kennelly. When Mary Mother of the Church was organized in 1965 the event was sponsored by the new Parish but still included St. John's church and school.
1966_plans_for_irish.jpg
A Night with the IRISH 19661966 was the 8th Annual Night with the Irish, originally sponsored to benefit St. John the Baptist Church in Savage and coordinated by Joe Kennelly. When Mary Mother of the Church was organized in 1965 the event was sponsored by the new Parish but still included St. John's church and school.
1968_Night_with_the_IRISH.jpg
Scenes from 1968 Night with the IRISHThe 1968 Night with the Irish, held at Burnsville High School brought a crowd of 1500 to the annual event. Originally held as an event for St. John the Baptist Church in Savage, when Mary Mother of the Church was established the yearly Irish festival was sponsored by their women's club with Joe Kennelly as organizer. (ONE OF TWO PAGES)
bob_ryan2C_pat_scully2C_dennis_day.jpg
A Night with the IRISH 1969The 1969 Annual event sponsored by Mary Mother of the Church included: KSTP Newcaster Bob Ryan, Dakota County Commissioner Patrick Scully (who was born in Ireland and lived in Hastings) and music at tv legend Dennis Day. Governor Harold LeVander and his wife and then St. Paul mayor Tom Byrne attended.
bob_ryan_night_with_irish_crop.pdf
Bob Ryan to MC A Night with the IrishThe popular A Night With the Irish moved from St. John the Baptist Church after the organization of Mary Mother of the Church. Parishioner Joe Kennelly was organizer. This year KSTP Newsman Bob Ryan served as MC. Of interest, on St. Patrick's Day St. John the Baptist began another tradition that year called Happiness is a Green Shamrock. 1968
breez11.jpg
Trick or TreatHalloween 1963 at Kennelly house.
burnsvillewasasmallcommunity.pdf
Burnsville was a small rural community in 1962Margaret Drolet, writes in an Aug. 8, 1979 Burnsville Current article her memories of Burnsville since arriving in 1962.
Burnsville_IDS_Star_Tribune_Sun__Feb_2__1969_~0.jpg
Will Burnsville ever have a Foshay Tower? 1969February 2, 1969 Minneapolis Star Tribune ad from Pemtom Real Estate Investments INC.

Will Burnsville ever have a Foshay Tower?

Anything is possible. Especially when you realize that the population of Burnsville was just 583 in 1950. By 1960 the Village just across the Minnesota River from Minneapolis had grown to 2,716. Today, best estimates put its population over 17,000.

That's growth! And Burnsville's growth may continue to accelerate.

Burnsville probably doesn't need a skyscraper, but it's certainly going to need more shopping centers, business and apartments. That brings us to the 162.03 acres now described and offered in a new prospectus for Burnsville Properties...
BU_full_page_of_Burnsville_img_0335~0.jpg
Burnsville Scenes 1963Published in a report in 1963 photos include - Colonial Shopping Center, Lehigh Portland Cement, North River Hills, the Burnsville High School, and unidentified Burnsville housing areas.
color_tvs.jpg
Color TelevisonsWhat year did your family purchase their first color television? For many in Burnsville, about 1963.
Dennis_Day_coming_to_Burnsville_1969.pdf
Dennis Day Coming to Burnsville 1969Dennis Day, famous movie and tv star, will star in the Women's Club of Mary Mother of the Church show in Burnsville on March 16. This year the show is A Night With the Irish scheduled for 7:30 at the Burnsville High School Gym. During earlier years the Night with the Irish was an event organized by Joe Kennelly for St. John the Baptist Church in Savage. After Mary Mother of the Church was organized the program moved to benefit the new church.
foremanandclar1_nformanandclark.jpg
Shopping in downtown St. PaulI don't think John Kennelly ever shopped in Minneapolis, big city trips meant St. Paul. Born 1905 - died 1991, every suit he owned came from Foreman and Clark, usually this downtown St. Paul store, until they actually opened a store in Burnsville Center.
Foshay_tower_in_Burnsville.pdf
Will Burnsville ever have a Foshay Tower? 1969February 2, 1969 Minneapolis Star Tribune ad from Pemtom Real Estate Investments INC.

Will Burnsville ever have a Foshay Tower?

Anything is possible. Especially when you realize that the population of Burnsville was just 583 in 1950. By 1960 the Village just across the Minnesota River from Minneapolis had grown to 2,716. Today, best estimates put its population over 17,000.

That's growth! And Burnsville's growth may continue to accelerate.

Burnsville probably doesn't need a skyscraper, but it's certainly going to need more shopping centers, business and apartments. That brings us to the 162.03 acres now described and offered in a new prospectus for Burnsville Properties...
Foshay_tower_text.JPG
Will Burnsville ever have a Foshay Tower? 1969Text to the Pemtom Real Estate Investments INC ad - Will Burnsville ever have a Foshay Tower?
fr_burns_and_levander.jpg
A Night with the IRISH 1969Fr. Donald Burns, pastor of Mary Mother of the Church meets Governor Harold LeVander who was a special guest at the Annual Night with the Irish event held at the Burnsville High School.
green_stamps.jpg
S and H Green StampsWe know of Burnsville shoppers who saved S & H green stamps during the 1950's forward which means their grocery store or gas station offered this incentive. This is a Bloomington redemption center.

S&H Green Stamps are a discontinued line of trading stamps popular in the United States from the 1930s until the late 1980s. They were distributed as part of a rewards program operated by the Sperry & Hutchinson company (S&H), founded in 1896 by Thomas Sperry and Shelley Byron Hutchinson. During the 1960s, the company promoted its rewards catalog as being the largest publication in the United States and boasted that it issued three times as many stamps as the U.S. Postal Service. Customers would receive stamps at the checkout counter of supermarkets, department stores, and gasoline stations among other retailers, which could be redeemed for products in the catalog.
group_photos_1966.jpg
A Night with the IRISH 19661966 was the 8th Annual Night with the Irish, originally sponsored to benefit St. John the Baptist Church in Savage and coordinated by Joe Kennelly. When Mary Mother of the Church was organized in 1965 the event was sponsored by the new Parish but still included St. John's church and school. Shown is the entire cast including KSTP Newscaster Bob Ryan.
IMG_0277.JPG
"The House"Built as a residential home at Lake Alimagnet, the City took over ownership of the property and it later became known as the House, an art center. The original kitchen remains in tact. Today the house is used by Baseball Association 191 with it known as Alimagnet House.
IMG_3806.JPG
Coffee cans filled with nailsMany "old timers" including John Kennelly had a garage filled with coffee cans filled with nails.
IMG_6406.JPG
Mark Wilson KNUT RadioBurnsville's first radio station KNUT, located at Jet Plaza basement.
indian_burial_ground_once_located_in_RH.pdf
Indian Burial Ground once located in (North) River Hills 1981 version 1In 1978 Del Stelling, editor of the Minnesota Valley Review and later Burnsville Sun recalls how in the 1960's as North River Hills was being developed an Indian Burial Ground was uncovered.
knut_radio.pdf
Radio Station may be operational in January (1967)The Dakota County Tribune November 2, 1967 reports on the efforts to establish KNUT radio station at the Colonial Shopping Center in Burnsville.
KNUT_RADIO_Oct_24__1967_~1.jpg
KNUT Radio on Nicollet Avenue Burnsville 1967October 24, 1967 MInneapolis Tribune reports: KINUT, the Nicollet Avenue radio station. The WHAT? Don't try dialing it. The boys - and the head man is only age 19 - are still building it. But they have an FCC permit and hope to get it on the FM band in January. That is, if you live in Burnsville... Location - 13724 Nicollet Avenue in the Colonial Terrace Shopping Center...
Lake_Burn_citizens_league_1960.pdf
Origins, purposes of growing Lake-Burn League 1960Minnesota Valley Review March 17, 1960 reports: Richard Carpentier who lives in Circle High and is justice of the peace for Burnsville township, was kind enough to send us information on the origin and accomplishments of the Lake-Burn Citizens League... It was formed September 9, 1956 by a group of enterprising people in the Lakeville Burnsville areas....
Library_will_open_1968.pdf
Burnsville Library will open 1968The Minneapolis Star Tribune May 9, 1968 reports: A branch of the Dakota Scott Regional Library system will be opened in mid June in Burnsville at the Colonial Shopping Center on Nicollet Avenue...The regional library headquarters is scheduled to be built in 1970 on County Road 42.
49 files on 2 page(s) 1