A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > General > 1990s

Burnsville_timeline_to_1995.pdf
Burnsville Timeline to 1995
Dakota County was created by the Minnesota State Legislature
The first road in Burnsville was established - known as the St. Paul and Shakopee Road. This road followed quite closely to the present Highway 13 and Williams Drive.
The first birth recorded in what was to become Burnsville - a daughter to Mr.and Mrs. James Kearney. Dakota County Board established the boundaries of Burnsville
The official organization of the town of Burnsville (election of town board members, etc.) However the first record found of a Township meeting was the 3rd day of April, 1860.
Some of the early settlers mentioned in the first town board minutes were: D. J. Bums, John Bums, Wm. Bums, Jeremiah Sweeney, James Connelly, Timothy O’Reagan, Michael Connolly, (a very Irish community).
A dispute over some property led to the killing of Thomas Kearney. James O’Hare was acquitted on the grounds of self-defense. First record of census - Burnsville population was 361.
The second road in Burnsville was known as the Shakopee/Lakeville Road through Burnsville, and followed what is remaining of Judicial Road.
NOTE ON CHURCHES IN BURNSVILLE: St. John the Baptist of Burnsville was organized in 1853. The congregation first met in the home of Wm. Byrne. He donated land and the first Church was completed in 1855 and located in west Burnsville near the Scott County line near the existing cemetery. The Church was twice destroyed by fire. After the second fire it was rebuilt in Hamilton (Savage) in 1902.
St. James Evangelical Lutheran began in 1939 in the home of Wm. Belz. A church was built and a move was made to Savage in 1949. As the congregation grew a new church was built at its present site on Williams Drive in 1963.
Grace United Methodist Church began in 1959...meeting in the Burnsville Town Hall on County Road 5 until 1962 when a new church was built and the congregation moved to its present site on Maple Island Road - across from Buck Hill,

1870’s The first general store was built at the junction of the St. Paul and Shakopee and Lakeville Road (present junction of Williams Drive and Judicial Road. Population of Burnsville - 388. A hotel/summer resort was opened on Crystal Lake. This became a popular sum m er recreation spot for the M inneapolis/St. Paul area.
Rural delivery of mail began. Prior to that time mail was picked up at the Village of Hamilton Post Office.
Population - 385
Dan Patch Railroad was built from Minneapolis to Antlers Park in Lakeville.
Population-4 1 9
First bridge was built across the Minneosta River from Bloomington to Burnsville. It was a drawbridge which extended Lyndale Avenue into Burnsville. In 1922 this road was extended to Orchard Gardens, and in 1925 the road went to Antler’s Park in Lakeville. Later this road became State Highway 65, and in the late 1950’s was replaced by Interstate 35.
Population - 490
City Treasurer recorded City funds totalling $172.39. Major expenses were dragging the roads and paying gopher bounties.
REA (Rural Electrification Association) brought electricity to Burnsville.
Population - 495
Oscar Dally was issued first 3.2 beer license for his general store on the east end of Crystal Lake.
$3,325.95 in Town Treaury
Population - 583 Residential platting began. Vista View and Northview Additions among the first housing.
Population - 2,716. Bloomington attempted to annex Black Dog on 8/22/61 and then all of Burnsville. After a long and heavily fought legal battle Burnsville remained Burnsville Township and incorporated on 6/16/64.
Election to incorporate as a Village
Village offices were on County Rd 5 (Ames Construction building) Population (estimated 8,054)
Employees 15
jj
Roger Richards^ first Mayor
Michael O’Connor - Clerk
Ray Connelly
Wm Dolan } Trustees Warren Kelley
Police Dept was formed with hiring of Ed Farrell as Police Chief
1965 Special Census - 10,721 Employees 29
Budget $361,500
Minnesota River flooded closing 35W City Administrator hired 6/1/65
1/1/67 Council/Manager form of government became effective (Plan B)
5/67 City Hall moved to 1313 E. Highway 13 Population (estimate) 13,912
1968 Population - 15,538 Employees 43
Civic Center property purchased from Patrick Nicholson for $24,000
First phase maintenance facility built
1969 Public Safety Department formed


1972 1975
1976 1977
1980
1981 1985
1989
1995
Population - 19,940 Employees 48 Budget $1,104,065
Ice Arena Constructed
Population - 31,234 Employees 89
Burnsville Flag adopted
Burnsville Center opened Development boomed in the 70’s
Population - 35,674 Employees 146 Budget $5,201,902
Public Safety Dept reorganized into Police and Fire Departments
Second sheet of ice built Population - 40,115 Employees 163
City Hall moved to 100 Civic Center Parkway
25 year (as incorporated City) celebration held in September
New Maintenance Facility occupied on McAndrews Road Population - 53,860 (estimate)
Employees 215
Budget $17,631,050



BV_timeline1858on.pdf
History_of_Burnsville_-_to_1995.pdf
jacks_photos_009.jpg
Orchard Gardens Station in need of paintAlthough a historic site, the Orchard Gardens Station is shown before volunteers scraped, primed and repainted the structure.


Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street

This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the trackside shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern
   
4 files on 1 page(s)