A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > Burnsville Historical Society and other local efforts > Orchard Gardens Station - National Historic site

2020_BU_B_and_W_of_Orchard_Gardens_Station_September.JPG
Orchard Gardens Station 2020Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street - National Historic Site.

This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the trackside shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.
2020_BU_County_Road_5_at_Orchard_Gardens_Station_Sept_.JPG
Orchard Gardens Station 2020Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street - National Historic Site

This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the trackside shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.
2020_BU_Historic_Orchard_Garden_Station_still_stands_September.JPG
Orchard Gardens Station 2020Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street - National Historic Site

This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the trackside shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.
2020_BU_Orchard_Gardens_Station_view_from_Co_Rd_5.JPG
Orchard Gardens Station 2020Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street National Historic Site

This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the trackside shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.
2020_BU_Remaining_at_Dan_Patch_Rail_Road_site_Orchard_Gardens~0.JPG
Orchard Gardens Station 2020Remaining railroad crossing warning signal at Orchard Gardens Station.

Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street
This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the trackside shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.
2020_BU_Remaining_rail_at_Orchard_Gardens_Station.JPG
Orchard Gardens Station 2020Only remaining track of the Dan Patch Line going through Orchard Gardens at the station.

Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street
This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the trackside shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.
2020_BU_Rusted_Rail_Road_warning_Orchard_Gardens.JPG
Orchard Gardens Station 2020Rusted railroad signal, a remaining sign of the Dan Patch Line at Orchard Gardens Station.

Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street
This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the trackside shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.
2020_BU_side_view_of_Orchard_Gardens_Station_September.JPG
Orchard Gardens Station 2020Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street National Historic Site.

This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the trackside shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.
2020_BU_Side_view_of_wood_on_Orchard_Gardens_Station.JPG
Orchard Gardens Station 2020Close up of the wood used to construct the Orchard Gardens Station.

Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street National Historic Site

This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the trackside shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.
800px-Orchard_Gardens_Depot_2_28129.jpg
Orchard Gardens Station 1990sThis earlier photo of Orchard Gardens Station shows the name appearing on the building.

BHS_Orchard_Garden.jpg
Orchard Gardens StationA side view of the historic Orchard Gardens Station.
Dille_sketch_of_Orchard_Gardens.jpg
Dille sketch of Orchard GardensThis rendering of the old Orchard Gardens railroad station is painted by Burnsville resident June Dille. The station was used by those who commuted between the area and Minneapolis on the Dan Patch line.
IMG_74765B15D.JPG
Orchard Gardens StationCeiling of the historic Orchard Gardens Station, 2019.
IMG_74825B15D.JPG
Orchard Gardens StationThe only remaining track at Orchard Gardens Station, July 2019.
IMG_74905B15D.JPG
Orchard Gardens StationJuly, 2019 - the Historic Orchard Gardens Station.
IMG_7505.JPG
Orchard Gardens StationA non-functioning railroad light at Orchard Gardens Station 2019.
jacks_photos_006_X.jpg
Orchard Gardens StationOrchard Gardens Station, in need of paint.
jacks_photos_008~0.jpg
Orchard Gardens StationOrchard Gardens Station in need of paint.
jacks_photos_012.jpg
Orchard Gardens StationOrchard Gardens Station in need of paint.
jacks_photos_016_X.jpg
Orchard Gardens StationOrchard Gardens Staton at railroad track, in need of paint.
jack_s_001.jpg
Orchard Gardens StationOrchard Gardens Station after being painted.
jack_s_002.jpg
Orchard Gardens StationOrchard Gardens Station after being painted.
Orchard_Gardens_commuters.pdf
Orchard Gardens Station commutersBy JUNE DILLE
There were originally three rail­road stations serving our communi­ty.
The Whittier, remembered by some as Foley’s station, was lo­cated in the vicinity of the Burnsville Lumber Company, the Oakdale Station was near the “tres­ tle” or underpass by Orchard Lake and the Orchard Garden “depot”, on what is now County Road 5.
The latter is the only station that still stands and the only thing that has not changed in this expanding countryside.
The Orchard Gardens depot was built in 1919 by the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern Railroad for commuters who used the Dan Patch line as their link with the big city.
Through the years it has come perilously close to being destroyed and it is to the credit of various local residents and organizations that it has been preserved.

What a place it once was! Every­one used it, and for every con­ceivable purpose. . . the chicken farmers, the gardeners, the apple growers and the dairy farmers.
It was used by commuters to Minneapolis to go to work, or by some simply for a shopping trip to “town.” The flower growers used it daily to bring their beautiful blooms to the large stores in the city.

It is said that once 36 boxcars were filled to the brim with onions to be sold to the city markets from Orchard Gardens Station.
Apples of all varieties waited for Dan Patch trains, bushels and bushels of them, to go to markets in St. Paul and Minneapolis to be shipped to all comers of the Midwest and beyond.
The milk wagons once waited there, too. Later, some of us waited there for the school bus to take us to high school, first in Bloomington, then Farmington, and finally to

Lakeville, as the school districts changed and expanded.
A man died in that station, some recall, and could not be moved until he was identified, nor did the train move until he was properly cared for. Such were the ways in those slower paced times.
All of us use the station now, as then, to direct friends and relatives to our homes north, south, east and west of that small depot.
It is one of the few remaining landmarks of a bygone era and some of us hope it will remain untouched by progress.

(Editor’s Note: The preceding story, written by the late June Dille, is included in “ Burnsville 76, A Community History,” copies of which may be purchased at $10 each from the Burnsville Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Socie­ty.)
Orchard_Gardens_Station_Nat_Reg.pdf
Orchard Gardens Station on National Register for Historic Places1980Burnsville Current and Countryside February 7, 1980 report: The 70 year old Orchard Gardens Railway Station located adjacent to County Road 4 in Burnsville has been entered into the National Register for Historic Places...
orchard_garden_repair.pdf
Old Station (Orchard Gardens) get new look 1983The June 16, 1983 Dakota County Tribune reports on the Skyblazer's 4H Club of Burnsville and Lakeville chose the beautification of the Orchard Gardens Station as their annual service project. It was built in 1910.
orchard_winter_1.JPG
Winter Orchard Garden Station 2019National Register (Dan Patch Line)
Orchard Gardens Railway Station

Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street
This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the track side shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.

Additional Information:
According to the National Register nomination, Orchard Gardens farmers concentrated on onion production until 1920 when disease damaged this crop. Eggs, milk, apples and flowers replaced onions on the station's dock. A new commuter crowd evolved in the 1920s and 30s after agricultural depression forced many local landowners to find employment in Minneapolis. In 1983, the Skyblazers 4-H club of the Burnsville-Lakeville area renovated the station as part of their annual community service program. No signage appears on the building to denote it as a historic site.
Orchard_winter_2.JPG
Winter Orchard Garden Station 2019National Register (Dan Patch Line)
Orchard Gardens Railway Station

Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street
This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the track side shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.

Additional Information:
According to the National Register nomination, Orchard Gardens farmers concentrated on onion production until 1920 when disease damaged this crop. Eggs, milk, apples and flowers replaced onions on the station's dock. A new commuter crowd evolved in the 1920s and 30s after agricultural depression forced many local landowners to find employment in Minneapolis. In 1983, the Skyblazers 4-H club of the Burnsville-Lakeville area renovated the station as part of their annual community service program. No signage appears on the building to denote it as a historic site.
rail_signage.JPG
County Road 5 at Orchard Gardens StationThese tracks at County Road 5 next to the historic Orchard Gardens Station are no longer in use, winter 2020.
   
28 files on 1 page(s)