A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > General > Orchard Gardens
Winter Orchard Garden Station 2019
National Register (Dan Patch Line)
Orchard Gardens Railway Station

Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street
This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the track side shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.

Additional Information:
According to the National Register nomination, Orchard Gardens farmers concentrated on onion production until 1920 when disease damaged this crop. Eggs, milk, apples and flowers replaced onions on the station's dock. A new commuter crowd evolved in the 1920s and 30s after agricultural depression forced many local landowners to find employment in Minneapolis. In 1983, the Skyblazers 4-H club of the Burnsville-Lakeville area renovated the station as part of their annual community service program. No signage appears on the building to denote it as a historic site.

Winter Orchard Garden Station 2019

National Register (Dan Patch Line)
Orchard Gardens Railway Station

Location: County Road 5 and 155th Street
This small railroad station was built in 1910 on the new Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Traction Railroad, better known as the “Dan Patch Line.” Running between Minneapolis and Northfield, the line stopped at this area called Orchard Gardens, a subdivision of five to ten-acre plots platted that year. The railroad constructed the track side shelter near the area’s main road for passenger and produce service to the Twin Cities. In 1918 the railroad was reorganized as the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern.

Additional Information:
According to the National Register nomination, Orchard Gardens farmers concentrated on onion production until 1920 when disease damaged this crop. Eggs, milk, apples and flowers replaced onions on the station's dock. A new commuter crowd evolved in the 1920s and 30s after agricultural depression forced many local landowners to find employment in Minneapolis. In 1983, the Skyblazers 4-H club of the Burnsville-Lakeville area renovated the station as part of their annual community service program. No signage appears on the building to denote it as a historic site.

Orchard_Lake_fr_1976_History.pdf Orchard_Manor.JPG Orchard_rail_3~0.JPG The_Minneapolis_Star_Sat__May_26__1973__28229.jpg The_Minneapolis_Star_Thu__Apr_27__1972_.jpg
Rate this file (No vote yet)
File information
Filename:Orchard_rail_3~0.JPG
Album name:jack / Orchard Gardens
Filesize:764 KiB
Date added:Mar 09, 2019
Dimensions:1500 x 2000 pixels
Displayed:18 times
URL:http://burnsvillehistory.org/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=14291
Favorites:Add to Favorites
Add your comment
Anonymous comments are not allowed here. Log in to post your comment